i forgot to take pictures until it was mostly gone
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 2 cups cake flour (replace ~2 tbsp of 2 cups normal flour with 2 tbsp cornstarch)
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- lemon zest of 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg + 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Heat oven to 350F. Grease bread loaf pan, coat with flour.
2. Combine flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and poppy seeds in large bowl.
3. Combine melted butter, lemon juice, buttermilk, eggs and egg yolks, and vanilla in a separate bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
4. Pour into pan. Bake about 50 minutes.
5. For extra lemon-ness and to keep the cake moist, make a cake soak by combining ~1/4 cup lemon juice + 2 tbsp sugar. Heat slightly to dissolve the sugar. Brush over the cake after the cake has cooled a bit.
6. Top with a lemon glaze. Combine about ~1/2 cup powdered sugar with a couple tablespoons of lemon juice and a bit of milk. I didn’t measure anything exactly, just kept adding more lemon juice + milk until it reached a nice consistency. Pour over the cake once it’s completely cooled.
This recipe was adapted from that in How to Cook Everything.